Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Don't Be An A*!hole When You Dine Out With Your Kids

This disaster happened in the privacy of our own home.


I know everyone (including myself) hates to be told what to do, but there’s a reason that many people dread sitting next to people with children at a restaurant. An absence of social grace isn’t something that is specific to people with kids. But I’ve been a waitress for a long time – and I can attest to the fact that many people believe that dining with a child gives them carte-blanche to behave however they want.
I’m a mother, too. I understand how hard it is to have a civilized meal with a toddler in tow. I still believe it is really important to bring him to restaurants so he can learn how to act while eating in public. I just choose my times wisely, because I know what a pain in the ass it can be for everyone involved. I also follow some very basic rules that make the experience better for everyone.
I’m going to tell you a few of the things that drive people who work in restaurants insane. Maybe you can see if you are guilty of any of these behaviors. Maybe you don’t care. Don’t kill the messenger.
Continue to article...

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a lot of this; I spent too many hours Bisselling up cracker crumbs when I waited tables. But I have to ask your opinion on this one: how does it look to have a toddler glued to an iPad while dining out? Because honestly, I don't know how we'd get through a meal without it. Does that make us look like terrible parents? She's quiet, not throwing food and stays in her seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all need to realize that iPads are the books of the future. Or else we will all be the old lady that refuses to use the ATM.

      Delete
  2. I'll be honest. Before I read the article I was already defensive. I was prepared to give you a piece of my mind about tolerating kids in restaurants, but I find I can't. I would never let my kids do most of the things you're talking about. The exception being leaving a mess on the floor or table if there was an accident and the kid starts screaming so I can't stay to clean up. In which case, I adjust the tip accordingly. My kids are both autistic, so we don't come at the busiest times (too hard on everybody), we bring distractions, we bring a little snack mix to help fill the gap, we walk them outside or take a turn around the restaurant (holding hands) and go to the bathroom.

    I guess I'll have to wait to bust a CAPS LOCK on somebody else.

    ReplyDelete